Saturday, March 2, 2013

Challenge 3: March - A Musican/Band a Day #1

28 days in February, and I wrote 22 poems... Hmm...

It was a good exercise just the same. I'll try to write them more often now. It was really easy to just throw something together first thing in the morning, or to write a few inspired words into my phone's notepad to ponder later. Some of the poems might be a good start for better poems. Others will probably never go any farther than this blog.

This month's challenge is inspired by a book I've checked out about 10 times from the library, and failed to even crack open. It's called 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die: A Listeners Life List. I like the idea of this book, because 1,000 recordings seems like a manageable goal for not a life, but a year. That was, of course, before I realized that it's "recordings" not "singles." I was going to listen to them all this month when I thought it was 1,000 individual songs. Totally doable, right? Then, I realized that was still too much for a month if I was really going to savor every song, so I thought, "Hey, I'll spread it out over a couple months." That would've been 15 songs a day. It was just after this that I opened the book to the first artist and saw that it was "recordings" as in "albums." That blew the whole original idea. Instead, I'll just start working my way through the book and listen to a new album a day. If I run across an album I already know really well, I won't listen to it again or write about it, but I'll mention it in the blog. Fun!

Oh, and in case you're interested, there's a Spotify list that's been created based on this book. I've actually been listening to this from time to time since discovering the book (probably a year or more ago). It's a fun listen if you just want to experience a few new sounds or enjoy some old ones.

Incidentally, I'm listening to the first album right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment