Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Series Reborn: The Ukulele, Maya Angelou, and That Poor Dummy



Hello and welcome back to this blog's original purpose. I've used and abused it for many missions in the last few years -- a poetry dropbox, a shameless self-promotional hub, a keeper of random monthly goals (met and unmet). However, I originally developed it as a partner piece for a web series. You know, that webisode link on the blog that doesn't go anywhere? Someday soon you might find out what that's about.

Someday soon is now.

Today, I began the great task of setting about adding, deleting, rearranging, and all-around re-examining the first several episodes of the series, which I drafted out earlier this year. Who are the major players? Who is made up, and who is real? Who gets to stay and who gets the boot? Are there two people who are really only one? Who gets to keep their real name (Office-style) and who gets a stage persona?

Then, there's that nagging question... How do I deal with the pilot having such a different tone then the rest of the series? I decided to go back to the origin of it. Where did the phrase, "I didn't see that coming," come from? Why did I say it that very first time? What was the joke? Why was it the punchline? Quickly, I realized it's something I said long before it seemed like a good title for a blog or a series. Maybe it doesn't matter at what point it became a tagline.... a title... a life mission... But, everything matters, right?

So, I entered my time-travel machine (aka the loo), and tried to recall those first few running gags that launched the gears into motion...



Yep.

Now (until otherwise corrected) I'm pretty sure it actually began in what is currently labeled "Episode 4: The Theme Song." This episode is inspired by a strange day when my friend Travis Duncan started playing "Don't Stop Believin'" on a ukulele he whipped out from under (or to the side of) his desk. I don't know if it was before or after the song that I exclaimed, "I didn't see that coming!" (though, I know I said it after). All I know is that has to be the moment when the light bulb blinked wildly and I shouted -- too loudly for an office setting -- "That's it! That's the title! That's it by Jove!" Well... Maybe I never said, "By Jove!" I'm putting the rest in print, though.

So, that said, Episode 4 is now going to be episode 1, because starting on the downer scene has, from the start, felt like the wrong thing, and who wants to do the wrong thing.

Now about Maya Angelou...

As soon as I knew episode one would be episode two, I also knew its monologue would need another re-write. I instantly got that quote in my head that goes something like: "You've got to know where you come from in order to know where you're going." I looked up it's source, and got quite a few dead ends. I love the phrase, "Cannot be attributed to any one person." Okay... So, I tried another search with only part of the quote, and turned up this one:

"I have great respect for the past. If you don't know where you've come from, you don't know where you're going. I have respect for the past, but I'm a person of the moment. I'm here, and I do my best to be completely centered at the place I'm at, then I go forward to the next place." - Maya Angelou

Then, I went about verifying that it was really Maya Angelou who said this, and not Abraham Lincoln, Yogi Berra, or the Irish Proverbs. Along the way I found this lovely list of her quotes, some of which may not be verified, but that doesn't make them any less lovely. This is one of my favorites. Also, I read the story that contains it, so I know it's real.



Next, I found this interview with Maya from the Arizona Republic, in which, the aforementioned quote is included. Good news!

But wait... 

Here's the "I didn't see that coming" part of the story. The part that really gives you insight into my life and process... 

Shortly after I posted the list of Maya Angelou quotes to my Facebook page, my pal Michael T. Scott (look at his animations on YouTube) shared a Maya Angelou video with me.


Okay, so it's not exactly Maya, is it? If I had been eating Fruit Loops, while watching it, though, they may have shot out of my nose, into my coffee, and Michael would have gotten a virtual two punch. Close call. Incidentally, there are also too others just like this only for Pennzoil and Butterfinger. Which is your favorite?

Oh, and about that Dummy...


Go ahead and ask Michael about this. I told him I was going to steal it from his page to add to my blog, and he shot back with, "You can't steal something no one wants." 

Happy Sunday everyone! Be sure to follow the blog, because I plan to frequent it quite a bit more often! :)

Cheers,
Jamey


No comments:

Post a Comment